Monday, July 03, 2006

Sola Scriptura?

This is something of a post script to my last installment on "application" in preaching, but I beg your indulgence nonetheless....

I have been wondering lately whether or not the faithful exposition of a passage of Scripture is sufficient in and of itself, or does the exposition's legitimacy only appear when its relevance to my life is demonstrated?

For example, I will be preaching soon on Ephesians 1:3, which says that "all spiritual blessings in heavenly places" are to be found "in Christ." Now, if I show from this verse (and others like it) the folly of seeking any blessing from God apart from the Person and work of Jesus, and conversely, that Christ is the fountain of all of heaven's treasure, is that enough? Does the ordinary church-goer see that point as being particularly relevant, or do I need to add something like, "Now for you stay-at-home moms out there..."?

My hope for the evangelical church today is that a faithfully-preached gospel would provide sufficient manna to satisfy God's pilgrim people, but my fear is that, like the wilderness wanderers of old, the delicacies of Egypt seem far more appealing.