Friday, April 18, 2008

Ten Good Shows of the Oh-Ohs

The usual disclaimer applies: This list is not a tacit endorsement of plane crashes, crooked cops, outplaying/outwitting/outlasting, or the mafia.

1. Lost: Possibly the best program on television. Now that they have a finite amount of shows before they'll call it quits, I am expecting them to stick to the story and stop wasting our time with people like Paulo and Nikki (what do you take us for anyway?).

2. Alias: A perfect example of a show that didn't know when to quit. Once Michael Vaughn told Sidney he wasn't really Michael Vaughn, I quit watching. But the first few seasons were killer. Ms. Bristow, I feel your pain.

3. Battlestar Galactica: Post-apocalyptic stories fascinate me, as do ones where our servants become our masters. This one has both. Starbuck has even grown on me.

4. Arrested Development: So good, and so sad no one figured it out in time. Sigh.

5. The Office: The British one is way better. There, I said it.

6. 24: Just because I liked the first few seasons of this show does not mean I endorse anything the CIA has done since its inception. How's that for an unexpected disclaimer?

7. The Shield: Not many show bring out the good ol' moral dilemma like this one does. Come on, admit it: You liked Shane despite what a scoundrel he was.

8. The Daily Show: Stewart/Colbert '08. 'Nuff said.

9. Survivor: How many seasons has this show run? Seventeen or something? And it's still intriguing, not to mention the most genius format for a reality TV show ever. I hope Ozzie wins.

10. The Sopranos: Despite the lack of good ol' fashioned family values, this show is really good. One thing I especially appreciate is the fact that it does not, in any way, shape, or form, glamorize the lifestyle it depicts. Bada bing, bada boom, fuhgetaboudit.

Honorable mentions: 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Rescue Me, Dexter, Firefly, and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia