Friday, April 07, 2006

Bad Slogans

The thing about slogans is that they're a dime-a-dozen, which is why I avoid 'em like the plague....

While there are plenty of Christian cliches I disagree with (which I may comment on later), there are a couple secular ones that rub me the wrong way.

For starters, how about this one: "Time is Money."

What's the message behind this statement? It obviously seems to be saying that, since the most important thing in life is earning money, and since every tick of the clock that I spend doing anything that is not financially rewarding represents a loss of potential earnings, I really need to limit the time I waste on things that don't put more dollars into my bank account.

But do Americans really think this way? Statistics show that most people, if they had the option, would opt for fewer work hours in return for less pay but more time to spend with their families, or to pursue other interests and hobbies.

Time, therefore, is more valuable than money (at least it ought to be).

So here's my proposal: Let's start a new slogan -- "Money is Time." It would work itself out practically by the attitude that, since earning that six-figure income entails wasting too much time working, and since time is more valuable than money anyway, it's just not worth the trade-off.

Thoughts?